Resin Rooster Renovation

Ferdinand Gets a New Beak

Jacki Cammidge is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

The resin rooster came from the recycle center - already broken.  The beak was missing, and evidently had been smashed irreparably.

Resin Rooster Renovation

After several years of appearing beakless, I decided that Ferdinand as he's known, should be operated on, and get a new beak.  The best product for the job is air dry clay, which dries to a hard finish. 

The color is not what you normally would see for a beak on such a handsome guy, but I'll get to that.

Beakless Resin Rooster

I really should have looked at some pictures, I went by memory on this one, so Ferdinand has a manly proboscis, not a dainty and delicate one.  I don't know if this air dry clay can be sanded or if a dremel tool would work to hone it down, but as of right now, this is how it's going to stay.

Profile shot of the Resin Rooster

I made a wire armature out of a piece of tie wire folded in the middle, with the ends curled up tightly with pliers.  This was shoved rudely into the hole in Ferdinands face, and then air dry clay was molded around it.

I pushed some of the clay into the hole, so it would stick to the curled ends of the wire and stay in place.  The other end of a paintbrush worked well for this.

The Manly Beak of the Resin Rooster

Then it was a matter of smoothing the clay, and molding it into the beak shape.  It takes about 24 hours to dry, then I used acrylic craft paint to match as closely as possible to the original color.

And that's how Ferdinand got his new beak.

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.